<pre id="5fbdf"></pre>
<track id="5fbdf"></track><track id="5fbdf"></track><noframes id="5fbdf">
<pre id="5fbdf"></pre>

        <address id="5fbdf"></address>

        无标题文档

        Funds hit for abuse home

        2022-06-07 16:46

        The Social Welfare Department has cut HK$1.8 million in funding for the Hong Kong Society for the Protection of Children after more than 30 of its staff were arrested since December over the abuse of at least 40 kids at its Children's Residential Home in Mong Kok.

        In a reply to The Standard, a spokesman said if any subvented non-governmental organization did not reach reasonable service performance standards in accordance with regulations, it can consider terminating or reducing its funding.

        He did say, however, that the spate of abuse cases at the society's subvented residential child care centre has "seriously breached the service quality standards in regard to protecting service users from abuse."

        As such, he added: "Since children have been sent to hospitals for check-ups, and the Children's Residential Home did not provide residential service to them during that period, the department therefore decided to reduce the funding to Hong Kong Society for the Protection of Children by about HK$1.8 million."

        Although the society received HK$88 million funds in 2020/21, and the HK$1.8 million reduction only accounts for just 2 percent, the move can be seen as more than a symbolic warning as authorities rarely cut NGOs' funds, said Cheung Chi-wai, external vice president of the Hong Kong Social Workers' General Union.

        Legislative Council member Stanley Li Sai-wing of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong said the reduction lacked a deterrent effect and a more drastic cut or suspension of that part of its service involved in that systemic child abuse was needed in order to show a "zero tolerance" of child abuse.

        So far, 27 female staff at the home have been charged with assault by those in charge of a child or young person. Two executives - director Susan Choy So Suk-yin and home superintendent Shirley Chui Wai-ying - quit in January.

        In March, the society appointed Subrina Chow Shun-yee, a former administrative officer in the civil service, as the new director.

        News of the cut came as the pro-democracy Community Care and Nursing Home Workers General Union said it will cease all operations after a committee meeting on June 16.

        From:The Standard

        饥渴少妇与三个黑人玩

        <pre id="5fbdf"></pre>
        <track id="5fbdf"></track><track id="5fbdf"></track><noframes id="5fbdf">
        <pre id="5fbdf"></pre>

              <address id="5fbdf"></address>